Old Paisa ... or ... ???

Started by statmatics, September 15, 2016, 06:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

statmatics

This neat looking coin was submitted to the web site, but, as usual, I must turn to the true experts for ID. I've spent several hours trying to find it in my reference material, but no results! I had not seen the 'curved ladder' pattern on other paisa. But it might not be a paisa at all. What do you think? Thanks.

Manzikert

Afghan civic coinage, falus, mine below (8.23 gm, 30.5 mm) is probably Kabul and has a date [12]83 (1866) on it.

Alan

saro

With a 90° rotation, the 1st picture shows a good part of the word "raij" in center (current) to valid this coin which could have been previously in use in another city, and at top a part of a date from a former strike : "128x"

Dear Alan, it seems to me that the full date "1283" is well present on your coin
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Afrasi

Quote from: saro on September 16, 2016, 09:15:30 AMDear Alan, it seems to me that the full date "1283" is well present on your coin.

I agree.

statmatics

Thank you so much.

If you have time, would you please guide me as to where on the coin you see 1283? I am having trouble finding anything that remotely resembles any type of Arabic or Persian numeral!

saro

Quote from: statmatics on September 16, 2016, 06:33:02 PM
Thank you so much.

If you have time, would you please guide me as to where on the coin you see 1283? I am having trouble finding anything that remotely resembles any type of Arabic or Persian numeral!
Dear Statmatics, on 1st sketch : "1283" on Alan's coin; on the other : "128x " on your coin
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Manzikert

Thank you saro, I could just make out the '2', but I couldn't see the '1' until you outlined it.

Alan

statmatics

Thanks. I don't feel bad that I missed it! Reminds me of 'reading the tea leaves.'