In 1754, an ironworks (Eisenhütten) at Ulft, using locally found ore, was established by Carl Henning, steward of the count of Bergh. In 1774, the plant was leased to the mayor of Bocholt, B. J. Diepenbrock and his nephews, a Bocholt doctor and a pharmacist called Reigers. Around 1800 the lessees became the owners, so their plant became known as Diepenbrock Reigers Ulft (DRU). In due time, the plant switched from water power to steam and started an enamelling partnership with Vulcaansoord from Ter Borg.
DRU produced large and small iron objects, from pots and pans, baths and stoves to letterboxes and manhole covers. This production line worked well until the 1970s, when a shift from individual to central heating, the introduction of ceramics and other artificial materials and competition from low wage countries forced the company first to outsource iron production and in 1970 a merger with former competitors Etna and Daalderop. In 1999, the heating part was split off and relocated to Duiven using the brand name Schuttersveld. Most of the original buildings are preserved and were re-developed, now functioning as a cultural facilities complex.